Statement on Responsible GamblingThe Hong Kong Jockey Club has a long-standing commitment to provide world-class horse racing, betting and sporting entertainment. The Club also has a long-standing commitment to provide betting in a socially responsible way.
The Club's gambling activities serve to bring social and economic benefits to Hong Kong. Most people gamble in a controlled way as a form of leisure or entertainment. However, a small but important proportion gamble to excess - both through legal and illegal channels - and can be considered problem gamblers, causing damage both to themselves and to society.
Problem gambling varies in severity, but frequently leads to family relationship problems; financial difficulties; job problems and a range of emotional disorders.
Warning signsThese signs can indicate that you have or may be developing a problem with gambling:
- Do you think about gambling everyday?
- Do you ever hide your gambling from people close to you?
- Do you ever feel guilty after gambling?
- Do you ever borrow money to gamble?
- Do you let bills go unpaid to get money for gambling?
- Do you chase your losses?
- Do you frequently gamble until the last dollar has gone?
- Do you frequently try to stop or cut down but find you can't?
- Do you find gambling affects your work or family life?
- Do you argue with others about the amount you gamble?
- Do you often gamble for longer than planned?
- Do you often gamble more than you can afford?
Guidelines for responsible gamblingResponsible gamblers keep gambling as entertainment by following these guidelines:
- Set and stick to a budget
- Only gamble what you can afford to lose
- Don't borrow to gamble
- Balance gambling with other leisure activities
- Don't chase losses
Where you can find helpIf you think you have a problem with gambling, or know someone close to you who might have a problem, contact:
Hotline : 1834 633